Sunday, November 19, 2017

Natives vs Immigrants to Technology

I have never thought of classifying a person as a "digital native" or a "digital immigrant."  There is definitely a digital divide between the generations growing up without computers than those growing with the technology.  Nowadays, everywhere you turn there is a flashing screen or a computer.  You can't seem to survive in this century without the knowledge of some basic computer skills.  In the YouTube Video, Do Digital Natives Exist it mentions the question of “Is there a danger in assuming that they don’t need to be taught how to computer?”  

As a digital native myself, I find it frustrating that people expect me know everything there is to know about a computer.  The digital immigrants (my grandmother for example) assume that I know exactly how to use every program there is and how to fix any glitch on a computer.  There is so much information about the every adapting technology that it is hard to keep up.  I have learned a lot about how to keep up with technology through my graduate program and have been given resources that allow me to hear about the latest technologies.  There are so many resources available on how to use the latest technologies that I am feeling more confident in my abilities to use them.  However, not everyone that I work with is so easily adaptable with the technology as I am.  In Sree Sreenivasan's TedTalk, he mentions that “Digital natives are fearless, they embrace technology and love technology.” 

I do not agree with this statement completely.  It creates this stereotype that everyone who grew up in the digital age is willing to use and "love" technology.  Many of the people I went to high school with aren't as willing to use technology.  They prefer to work with their hands and do things in a tactile way.  One of my friends growing up didn't have a cell phone until he was a senior in college.  He felt that he didn't want to fall into the "trap" that sucks everyone in and being connected all the time.  I feel that information about the use of technology needs to be shared.  Teachers need to learn how to use the technology and integrate it into their classes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment